MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Edinburgh), PhD (Bristol), FAMS
Dr Ong Kong Wee runs his own practice at K W Ong Breast and General Surgery Clinic at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital and Farrer Park Hospital.
His main clinical focus is on the diagnosis and management of benign and malignant breast conditions, based upon up-to-date medical evidence and techniques. His clinical interests include minimally invasive breast surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy, breast conserving surgery and breast reconstruction for breast cancer.
He was the Founding Head of the SingHealth Duke-NUS Breast Centre from 2014 to 2018, which is the largest centre in Singapore treating the full spectrum of breast conditions. In 2018, he received a 20-year Long Service Award in recognition of his years of contribution.
In 2012, he initiated the technique of Intra-Operative Radiotherapy in the treatment of early breast cancers. Given his expertise in minimally invasive breast biopsies such as vacuum-assisted needle biopsy and hookwire localisation, he has been a Regional Medical Consultant to Becton Dickinson since 2018.
Dr Ong has a keen interest in breast cancer research and has many publications in top journals such as Nature Genetics, Lancet Oncology and Clinical Cancer Research.
Dr Ong is actively involved in medical education and training. He was Adjunct Assistant Professor at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, and Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. He served as Director of Resident and Student Mentorship at the Academic Clinical Program (Surgery) in SingHealth and was a Clinical Physician Faculty for the SingHealth General Surgery Residency Program. He was awarded the Outstanding Faculty Award in 2014. He has also trained many breast surgeons from neighbouring countries, including Philippines, Indonesia and Myanmar. He is frequently invited to lecture at local and international breast cancer conferences, and to conduct surgical workshops in the region.
Patient care is of paramount importance to Dr Ong. His efforts have been acknowledged at the National level, with a Special Mention in Customer Service (Healthcare) category at the Singapore Experience Awards in 2009 and a Silver Award at the Singapore Health Quality Service Awards.
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow, Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- Becton Dickinson Biopsy Regional Trainer
- 20 year Long Service Award – Singapore Health Services, 2018
- Silver Award – Singapore Health Quality Service Award, 2018
- Singapore Experience Awards: Customer Service – Healthcare Special Mention, 2009
- Singhealth Human Manpower Development Program Award – Clinical Research and Advanced Surgical Training in Breast Cancer, 2008
- Singapore General Hospital Oral Papers – Winner (Medicine), 2005
- Medical Research Fellowship, National Medical Research Council, Singapore, 1st Aug 1999 – 31st Dec 2002
- Best Houseman Award, Department of Oncology and UrogynaecologyKandangKerbau Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Singapore, 1st Sep 1997 – 31st Dec 1997
- Nestle Book Prize for Best Student in Paediatrics Clinical Clerkship, National University of Singapore, Final Professional Examination, 1996-7
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Final Professional Examination, 1996-7
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Third Professional Examination, 1995-6
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Second Professional Examination, 1994-5
- Academy of Medicine Bronze Medal, National University of Singapore, First Professional Examination, 1993-4
- Beecham Book Prize (Anatomy), National University of Singapore, First Professional Examination, 1993-4
- Immediate breast reconstruction following nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population: Aesthetic outcomes and mitigating nipple-areolar complex necrosis. Pek WS, Tan KB, Ng YY, Tan V, Rasheed MZ, Tan B, Ong KW, Ong YS. Arch Plast Surg. 2018 May;45(3):229-238. doi: 10.5999/aps.2017.01067.
- Evaluation of three polygenic risk score models for the prediction of breast cancer risk in Singapore Chinese. Chan CHT, Munusamy P, Loke SY, Koh GL, Yang AZY, Law HY, Yoon CS, Wong CY, Yong WS, Wong NS, Ng RCH, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Oey CL, Ho GH, Tan PH, Tan MH, Ang P, Yap YS, Lee ASG. Oncotarget. 2018 Jan 31;9(16):12796-12804. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.24374.
- Surgery for early breast cancer in the extremely elderly leads to improved outcomes – an Asian population study. Lee CM, Zheng H, Tan VK, Tan TJ, Kanesvaran R, Wong FY, Sim YR, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Tan BK. Bret. 2017 Dec;36:44-48. doi: 10.1016/breast.2017.09.002.
- Outcome after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in Asian breast cancer patients. Lim LY, Miao H, Lim JS, Lee SC, Bhoo-Pathy N, Yip CH, Taib NA, Chan P, Tan EY, Lim SH, Lim GH, Woo E, Tan YS, Lee JA, Wong M, Tan PH, Ong KW, Wong FY, Yap YS, Hartman M. Cancer Med. 2017 Jan;6(1):173-185. doi: 10.1002/cam4.985.
- Trends in Post-Mastectomy Reconstruction in an Asian Population: A 12-Year Institutional Review. Ng YY, Tan VK, Goh TL, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Ong YS, Sim Y, Tan BK, Tan BK. Breast J. 2017 Jan;23(1):59-66. doi: 10.1111/tbj.12682.
- Breast sarcomas and malignant phyllodes tumours: comparison of clinicopathological features, treatment strategies, prognostic factors and outcomes. Lim SZ, Selvarajan S, Thike AA, Nasir ND, Tan BK, Ong KW, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Sep;159(2):229-44. doi: 10.1007/s10549-016-3946-1.
- Perioperative Outcomes of Therapeutic Breast Surgery in the Elderly. Lee CM, Tan VK, Tan BK, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ong KW. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2016 Jun;45(6):261-3.
- Sarcoma of the breast: an update on a rare entity. Lim SZ, Ong KW, Tan BK, Selvarajan S, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2016 May;69(5):373-81. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-203545
- Breast carcinoma and phyllodes tumour: a case series. Sin EI, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan VK, Thike AA, Tan PH, Tan BK. J Clin Pathol. 2016 Apr;69(4):364-9. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-203475.
- Genomic landscapes of breast fibroepithelial tumors. Tan J, Ong CK, Lim WK, Ng CC, Thike AA, Ng LM, Rajasegaran V, Myint SS, Nagarajan S, Thangaraju S, Dey S, Nasir ND, Wijaya GC, Lim JQ, Huang D, Li Z, Wong BH, Chan JY, McPherson JR, Cutcutache I, Poore G, Tay ST, Tan WJ, Putti TC, Ahmad BS, Iau P, Chan CW, Tang AP, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Ho GH, Tan VK, Wong CY, Hartman M, Ong KW, Tan BK, Rozen SG, Tan P, Tan PH, Teh BT. Nat Genet. 2015 Nov;47(11):1341-5. doi: 10.1038/ng.3409.
- Characteristics and behaviour of screen-detected ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: comparison with symptomatic patients. Koh VC, Lim JC, Thike AA, Cheok PY, Thu MM, Tan VK, Tan BK, Ong KW, Ho GH, Tan WJ, Tan Y, Salahuddin AS, Busmanis I, Chong AP, Iqbal J, Thilagaratnam S, Wong JS, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015 Jul;152(2):293-304. doi: 10.1007/s10549-015-3472-6.
- False negative rate for intraoperative sentinel lymph node frozen section in patients with breast cancer: a retrospective analysis of patients in a single Asian institution. Wong J, Yong WS, Thike AA, Iqbal J, Salahuddin AS, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jul;68(7):536-540. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2014-202799.
- Sarcoma of the breast and chest wall after radiation treatment for bilateral breast carcinoma. Pradniwat K, Ong KW, Sittampalam K, Bay BH, Tan PH. J Clin Path. 2015 Jun;68(6):491-495. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-202963.
- Assessment of suitability of the one step nucleic acid amplification (OSNA) assay as an intraoperative procedure for detection of metastasis in sentinel lymph nodes of breast cancer. Jara-Lazaro AR, Hussain IHM, Thike AA, Wong CY, Ho GH, Yong WS, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Oey CL, Hwang JSG, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Dec;67(12):1032-1037. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2014-202361.
- Aesthetic design of skin-sparing mastectomy incisions for immediate autologous tissue breast reconstruction in Asian women. Tan BK, Chim H, Ng ZY, Ong KW. Arch Plast Surg. 2014 Jul;41(4):366-373. doi: 10.5999/aps.2014.41.4.366.
- Exome sequencing identifies highly recurrent MED12 somatic muations in breast fibroadenoma. Lim WK, Ong CK, Tan J, ThikeAA , Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Myint SS, Nagarajan S, Nasir NDM, McPherson JR, Cutcutache I, Poore G, Tay ST, Ooi WS, Tan VMT, Hartman M, Ong KW, Tan BKT, Rozen SG, Tan PH, Tan P, The BT. Nat Genet. 2014 Aug;46(8):877-880. doi: 10.1038/ng.3037.
- Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy in an Asian population: a single institution review. Sim YR, Tan VKM, Ho GH, Wong CY, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Yong WS, Ng YYR, Ong KW. Breast. 2014 Feb;23(1):56-62. doi: 10.1016/j.breast.2013.10.008.
- Sentinel lymph nodes with isolated tumour cells and micrometastases in breast cancer: clinical relevance and prognostic significance. Ahmed SS, Thike AA, Iqbal J, Yong WS, Tan B, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Ho GH, Wong CY, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Mar;67(3):243-250. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2013-201771.
- Predicting the likelihood of additional lymph node metastasis in sentinel lymph node positive breast cancer: validation of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre (MSKCC) nomogram. Chue KM, Yong WS, Thike AA, Ahmed SS, Li HH, Wong CY, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Feb;67(2):112-119. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2013-201524.
- ALDH1 expression is enriched in breast cancers arising in young women but does not predict outcome. Tan EY, Thike AA, Ho GH, Yong WS, Wong CY, Tan B, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan PH. Br J of Cancer. 2013; 109: 109-113.
- Association of common genetic variants with breast cancer risk and clinicopathological characteristics in a Chinese population. Chan M, Ji SM, Liaw CS, Yap YS, Haw HY, Yoon CS, Wong CY, Yong WS, Wong NS, Ng R, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Oey CL, Tan PH, Li HH, Ang P, Ho GH, Lee ASG. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Nov;136(1):209-20. doi: 10.1007/s10549-012-2234-y.
- Predicting clinical behaviour of breast phyllodes tumours: a normogram based on histological criteria and surgical margins. Tan PH, Thike AA, Tan WJ, Thu MM, Busmanis I, Li H, Chay WY, Tan MH, Tan B, Wong CY, Ong KW, Yong WS, Ho GH, Ooi WS, Teh BT. J Clin Pathol. 2012 Jan;65(1):69-76. doi: 10.1136/clinpath-2011-200368.
- An unusual case of recurrent obstructive jaundice. Heng LZ, Ong KW, Chow PKH. Gastroenterology. 2011 May;140(5):1401, 1699. doi: 10..1053/j.gastro.2010.07.064.
- Expression of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) latent antigens, mTOR and tumor suppression genes in EBV positive smooth muscle tumors: clinical and therapeutic implications. Ong KW, Teo M, Lee V, Ong D, Lee A, Tan CS, Vathsala A, Toh HC. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Sep;15(17):5350-5358. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2979.
- Immune response against angiosarcoma following lower fluence rate clinical photodynamic therapy. Thong PSP, Malini O, Kho KW, Ramaswamy B, Chin WWL, Ong KW, Soo KC. J Environ PatholToxicol and Oncol. 2008; 27(1):35-42.
- Photodynamic therapy-activated immune response against distant untreated lesions in recurrent angiosarcomas. Thong PSP, Ong KW, Goh NSG, Kho KW, Manivasager V, Bhuvaneswari R, Olivio M, Soo KC. Lancet Oncol. 2007 Oct;8(10):950-952.
- Use of sirolimus for Epstein-Barr virus-positive smooth-muscle tumour. Toh HC, Teo M, Ong KW, Lee V, Chan E, Lee ASG, Vathsala A. Lancet Oncol. 2006 Nov;7(11):955-957.
- Healthcare worker seroconversion in SARS outbreak. Chow PKH, Ooi EE, Tan HK, Ong KW, Sil BK, Teo M, Ng T, Soo KC. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 Feb;10(2):240-250.
- The B-subunit of Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin enhances CD8+ cytotoxic T lymphocyte killing of Epstein-Barr virus-infected cell lines. Ong KW, Wilson AD, Hirst TR, Morgan AJ. J Virol. 2003 Apr;77(7):4298-4305.