MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Edinburgh), PhD (Bristol), FAMS
Dr Ong Kong Wee runs his own practice at K W Ong Breast and General Surgery Clinic at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital and Farrer Park Hospital.
His main clinical focus is on the diagnosis and management of benign and malignant breast conditions, based upon up-to-date medical evidence and techniques. His clinical interests include minimally invasive breast surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy, breast conserving surgery and breast reconstruction for breast cancer.
He was the Founding Head of the SingHealth Duke-NUS Breast Centre from 2014 to 2018, which is the largest centre in Singapore treating the full spectrum of breast conditions. In 2018, he received a 20-year Long Service Award in recognition of his years of contribution.
In 2012, he initiated the technique of Intra-Operative Radiotherapy in the treatment of early breast cancers. Given his expertise in minimally invasive breast biopsies such as vacuum-assisted needle biopsy and hookwire localisation, he has been a Regional Medical Consultant to Becton Dickinson since 2018.
Dr Ong has a keen interest in breast cancer research and has many publications in top journals such as Nature Genetics, Lancet Oncology and Clinical Cancer Research.
Dr Ong is actively involved in medical education and training. He was Adjunct Assistant Professor at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, and Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. He served as Director of Resident and Student Mentorship at the Academic Clinical Program (Surgery) in SingHealth and was a Clinical Physician Faculty for the SingHealth General Surgery Residency Program. He was awarded the Outstanding Faculty Award in 2014. He has also trained many breast surgeons from neighbouring countries, including Philippines, Indonesia and Myanmar. He is frequently invited to lecture at local and international breast cancer conferences, and to conduct surgical workshops in the region.
Patient care is of paramount importance to Dr Ong. His efforts have been acknowledged at the National level, with a Special Mention in Customer Service (Healthcare) category at the Singapore Experience Awards in 2009 and a Silver Award at the Singapore Health Quality Service Awards.
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow, Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- Becton Dickinson Biopsy Regional Trainer
- 20 year Long Service Award – Singapore Health Services, 2018
- Silver Award – Singapore Health Quality Service Award, 2018
- Singapore Experience Awards: Customer Service – Healthcare Special Mention, 2009
- Singhealth Human Manpower Development Program Award – Clinical Research and Advanced Surgical Training in Breast Cancer, 2008
- Singapore General Hospital Oral Papers – Winner (Medicine), 2005
- Medical Research Fellowship, National Medical Research Council, Singapore, 1st Aug 1999 – 31st Dec 2002
- Best Houseman Award, Department of Oncology and UrogynaecologyKandangKerbau Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Singapore, 1st Sep 1997 – 31st Dec 1997
- Nestle Book Prize for Best Student in Paediatrics Clinical Clerkship, National University of Singapore, Final Professional Examination, 1996-7
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Final Professional Examination, 1996-7
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Third Professional Examination, 1995-6
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Second Professional Examination, 1994-5
- Academy of Medicine Bronze Medal, National University of Singapore, First Professional Examination, 1993-4
- Beecham Book Prize (Anatomy), National University of Singapore, First Professional Examination, 1993-4
- Fatty acid oxidation is a druggable gateway regulating cellular plasticity for driving metastasis in breast cancer. Loo SY, Toh LP, Xie WH, Pathak E, Tan W, Ma S, Lee MY, Shatishwaran S, Yeo JZZ, Yuan J, Ho YY, Peh EKL, Muniandy M, Torta F, Chan J, Tan TJ, Sim Y, Tan V, Tan B, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Ong KW, Wong CY, Tan PH, Yap YS, Deng LW, Dent R, Foo R, Wenk MR, Lee SC, Ho YS, Lim EH, Tam WL. Sci Adv. 2021 Oct 8;7(41):eabh2443. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abh2443. Epub 2021 Oct 6. PMID: 34613780.
- Genetic differences between benign phyllodes tumors and fibroadenomas revealed through targeted next generation sequencing. Ng CCY, Md Nasir ND, Loke BN, Tay TKY, Thike AA, Rajasegaran V, Liu W, Lee JY, Guan P, Lim AH, Chang KTE, Gudi MA, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Tan VKM, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ho GH, Ong KW; International Fibroepithelial Consortium, Yip GWC, Bay BH, Tan P, Teh BT, Tan PH. Mod Pathol. 2021 Jul;34(7):1320-1332. doi: 10.1038/s41379-021-00787-w. Epub 2021 Mar 16. PMID: 33727697.
- Impact of hormonal status on ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: Outcome and prognostic factors. Tay THC, Ng WY, Ong KW, Wong CY, Tan BKT, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Tan VKM, Lim SZ, Sim Y. Breast J. 2020 May;26(5):937-945. doi: 10.1111/tbj.13738. Epub 2019 Dec 26. PMID: 31876337.
- A Circulating miRNA Signature for Stratification of Breast Lesions among Women with Abnormal Screening Mammograms. Loke SY, Munusamy P, Koh GL, Chan CHT, Madhukumar P, Thung JL, Tan KTB, Ong KW, Yong WS, Sim Y, Oey CL, Lim SZ, Chan MYP, Ho TSJ, Khoo BKJ, Wong SLJ, Thng CH, Chong BK, Tan EY, Tan VK, Lee ASG. Cancers (Basel). 2019 Nov 26;11(12):1872. doi: 10.3390/cancers11121872. PMID: 31769433; PMCID: PMC6966622.
- A novel genomic panel as an adjunctive diagnostic tool for the characterization and profiling of breast Fibroepithelial lesions. Sim Y, Ng GXP, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Wong SF, Liu W, Guan P, Nagarajan S, Ng WY, Thike AA, Lim JCT, Nasir NDBM, Tan VKM, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Teh BT, Tan PH. BMC Med Genomics. 2019 Oct 23;12(1):142. doi: 10.1186/s12920-019-0588-2. PMID: 31647027; PMCID: PMC6813086.
- A pilot study comparing Sentimag/Sienna versus standard modality for sentinel lymph node identification in patients with breast cancer. Hamzah JL, Tan BKT, Tan V, Madhukumar P, Lim SZ, Sim YR, Yong WS, Lee ZJ, Ong KW. Breast J. 2020 May;26(5):1074-1077. doi: 10.1111/tbj.13660. Epub 2019 Oct 14. PMID: 31612623.
- Genomic characterisation of breast fibroepithelial lesions in an international cohort. Md Nasir ND, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Wong SF, Liu W, Ng GXP, Lee JY, Guan P, Lim JQ, Thike AA, Koh VCY, Loke BN, Chang KTE, Gudi MA, Lian DWQ, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Tan VKM, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ho GH, Ong KW; International Fibroepithelial Consortium, Tan P, Teh BT, Tan PH. J Pathol. 2019 Dec;249(4):447-460. doi: 10.1002/path.5333. Epub 2019 Oct 8. PMID: 31411343.
- Isolated invasive ductal carcinoma of the nipple-areolar complex: A rare occurrence yet to be reported in current literature. Hamzah JL, Ong KW, Tan BY. Breast J. 2019 Jul;25(4):706-708. doi: 10.1111/tbj.13308. Epub 2019 Jun 6. PMID: 31172621.
- Behaviour and characteristics of low-grade ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: literature review and single-centre retrospective series. Koh VCY, Lim JCT, Thike AA, Cheok PY, Thu MMM, Li H, Tan VKM, Ong KW, Tan BKT, Ho GH, Thilagaratnam S, Wong JSL, Wong FY, Ellis IO, Tan PH. Histopathology. 2019 Jun;74(7):970-987. doi: 10.1111/his.13837. Epub 2019 Mar 28. PMID: 30734334.
- Factors influencing patient decision-making between simple mastectomy and surgical alternatives. Lee WQ, Tan VKM, Choo HMC, Ong J, Krishnapriya R, Khong S, Tan M, Sim YR, Tan BK, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Ong KW. BJS Open. 2018 Oct 8;3(1):31-37. doi: 10.1002/bjs5.50105. PMID: 30734013; PMCID: PMC6354187.
- Genomic profile of breast sarcomas: a comparison with malignant phyllodes tumours. Lim SZ, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Guan P, Selvarajan S, Thike AA, Nasir NDBM, Koh VCY, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Teh BT, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Apr;174(2):365-373. doi: 10.1007/s10549-018-5067-5. Epub 2018 Dec 3. PMID: 30511242.
- Surgical and oncological safety of nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population. Ng YY, Tan VK, Pek WS, Chang JH, Sim Y, Ong KW, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Wong CY, Ong YS, Tan BK, Tan BKT. Breast Cancer. 2019 Mar;26(2):165-171. doi: 10.1007/s12282-018-0908-y. Epub 2018 Sep 14. PMID: 30218304.
- Bilateral breast cancers in an Asian population, and a comparison between synchronous and metachronous tumours. Sim Y, Tan VKM, Sidek NAB, Chia DKA, Tan BKT, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ong KW. ANZ J Surg. 2018 Oct;88(10):982-987. doi: 10.1111/ans.14773. Epub 2018 Aug 23. PMID: 30141242.
- Autophagy Governs Protumorigenic Effects of Mitotic Slippage-induced Senescence. Jakhar R, Luijten MNH, Wong AXF, Cheng B, Guo K, Neo SP, Au B, Kulkarni M, Lim KJ, Maimaiti J, Chong HC, Lim EH, Tan TBK, Ong KW, Sim Y, Wong JSL, Khoo JBK, Ho JTS, Chua BT, Sinha I, Wang X, Connolly JE, Gunaratne J, Crasta KC. Mol Cancer Res. 2018 Nov;16(11):1625-1640. doi: 10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-18-0024.Epub 2018 Jul 23. PMID: 30037855.
- Breast cancer in women with neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1): a comprehensive case series with molecular insights into its aggressive phenotype. Yap YS, Munusamy P, Lim C, Chan CHT, Prawira A, Loke SY, Lim SH, Ong KW, Yong WS, Ng SBH, Tan IBH, Callen DF, Lim JCT, Thike AA, Tan PH, Lee ASG. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Oct;171(3):719-735. doi: 10.1007/s10549-018-4851-6. Epub 2018 Jun 21. PMID: 29926297.
- Immediate breast reconstruction following nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population: Aesthetic outcomes and mitigating nipple-areolar complex necrosis. Pek WS, Tan BK, Ru Ng YY, Kiak Mien Tan V, Rasheed MZ, Kiat Tee Tan B, Ong KW, Ong YS. Arch Plast Surg. 2018 May;45(3):229-238. doi: 10.5999/aps.2017.01067. Epub 2018 May 15. PMID: 29788682; PMCID: PMC5968316.
- Evaluation of three polygenic risk score models for the prediction of breast cancer risk in Singapore Chinese. Chan CHT, Munusamy P, Loke SY, Koh GL, Yang AZY, Law HY, Yoon CS, Wong CY, Yong WS, Wong NS, Ng RCH, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Oey CL, Ho GH, Tan PH, Tan MH, Ang P, Yap YS, Lee ASG. Oncotarget. 2018 Jan 31;9(16):12796-12804. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.24374. PMID: 29560110; PMCID: PMC5849174.
- Surgery for early breast cancer in the extremely elderly leads to improved outcomes – An Asian population study. Lee CM, Zheng H, Tan VK, Tan TJ, Kanesvaran R, Wong FY, Sim YR, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Tan BK. Breast. 2017 Dec;36:44-48. doi: 10.1016/j.breast.2017.09.002. Epub 2017 Sep 22. PMID: 28942237.
- Outcome after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in Asian breast cancer patients. Lim LY, Miao H, Lim JS, Lee SC, Bhoo-Pathy N, Yip CH, Taib NA, Chan P, Tan EY, Lim SH, Lim GH, Woo E, Tan YS, Lee JA, Wong M, Tan PH, Ong KW, Wong FY, Yap YS, Hartman M. Cancer Med. 2017 Jan;6(1):173-185. doi: 10.1002/cam4.985. Epub 2016 Dec 20. PMID: 28000426; PMCID: PMC5269707.
- Trends in Post-Mastectomy Reconstruction in an Asian Population: A 12-Year Institutional Review. Ng YY, Tan VK, Goh TL, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Ong YS, Sim Y, Tan BK, Tan BK. Breast J. 2017 Jan;23(1):59-66. doi: 10.1111/tbj.12682. Epub 2016 Sep 16. PMID: 27633549.
- Breast sarcomas and malignant phyllodes tumours: comparison of clinicopathological features, treatment strategies, prognostic factors and outcomes. Lim SZ, Selvarajan S, Thike AA, Nasir ND, Tan BK, Ong KW, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Sep;159(2):229-44. doi: 10.1007/s10549-016-3946-1. Epub 2016 Aug 19. PMID: 27541020.
- Perioperative Outcomes of Therapeutic Breast Surgery in the Elderly. Lee CM, Tan VK, Tan BK, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ong KW. Ann Acad Med Singap. 2016 Jun;45(6):261-3. PMID: 27412061.
- Sarcoma of the breast: an update on a rare entity. Lim SZ, Ong KW, Tan BK, Selvarajan S, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2016 May;69(5):373-81. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-203545. Epub 2016 Jan 4. PMID: 26729013.
- Breast carcinoma and phyllodes tumour: a case series. Sin EI, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan VK, Thike AA, Tan PH, Tan BK. J Clin Pathol. 2016 Apr;69(4):364-9. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-203475. Epub 2015 Dec 15. PMID: 26670744.
- Genomic landscapes of breast fibroepithelial tumors. Tan J, Ong CK, Lim WK, Ng CC, Thike AA, Ng LM, Rajasegaran V, Myint SS, Nagarajan S, Thangaraju S, Dey S, Nasir ND, Wijaya GC, Lim JQ, Huang D, Li Z, Wong BH, Chan JY, McPherson JR, Cutcutache I, Poore G, Tay ST, Tan WJ, Putti TC, Ahmad BS, Iau P, Chan CW, Tang AP, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Ho GH, Tan VK, Wong CY, Hartman M, Ong KW, Tan BK, Rozen SG, Tan P, Tan PH, Teh BT. Nat Genet. 2015 Nov;47(11):1341-5. doi: 10.1038/ng.3409. Epub 2015 Oct 5. PMID: 26437033.
- Characteristics and behaviour of screen-detected ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: comparison with symptomatic patients. Koh VC, Lim JC, Thike AA, Cheok PY, Thu MM, Tan VK, Tan BK, Ong KW, Ho GH, Tan WJ, Tan Y, Salahuddin AS, Busmanis I, Chong AP, Iqbal J, Thilagaratnam S, Wong JS, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015 Jul;152(2):293-304. doi: 10.1007/s10549-015-3472-6. Epub 2015 Jun 16. PMID: 26077641.
- False negative rate for intraoperative sentinel lymph node frozen section in patients with breast cancer: a retrospective analysis of patients in a single Asian institution. Wong J, Yong WS, Thike AA, Iqbal J, Salahuddin AS, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Tan BK, Ong KW, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jul;68(7):536-40. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2014-202799. Epub 2015 Apr 8. PMID: 25855801.
- Sarcoma of the breast and chest wall after radiation treatment for bilateral breast carcinoma. Pradniwat K, Ong KW, Sittampalam K, Bay BH, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jun;68(6):491-5. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-202963. Epub 2015 Mar 18. PMID: 25788453.
- Assessment of suitability of the one step nucleic acid amplification (OSNA) assay as an intraoperative procedure for detection of metastasis in sentinel lymph nodes of breast cancer. Jara-Lazaro AR, Hussain IH, Thike AA, Wong CY, Ho GH, Yong WS, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan BK, Oey CL, Hwang JS, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Dec;67(12):1032-7. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2014-202361. Epub 2014 Sep 12. PMID: 25217710.
- Aesthetic design of skin-sparing mastectomy incisions for immediate autologous tissue breast reconstruction in asian women. Tan BK, Chim H, Ng ZY, Ong KW. Arch Plast Surg. 2014 Jul;41(4):366-73. doi: 10.5999/aps.2014.41.4.366. Epub 2014 Jul 15. PMID: 25075359; PMCID: PMC4113696.
- Exome sequencing identifies highly recurrent MED12 somatic mutations in breast fibroadenoma. Lim WK, Ong CK, Tan J, Thike AA, Ng CC, Rajasegaran V, Myint SS, Nagarajan S, Nasir ND, McPherson JR, Cutcutache I, Poore G, Tay ST, Ooi WS, Tan VK, Hartman M, Ong KW, Tan BK, Rozen SG, Tan PH, Tan P, Teh BT. Nat Genet. 2014 Aug;46(8):877-80. doi: 10.1038/ng.3037. Epub 2014 Jul 20. PMID: 25038752.
- Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy in an Asian population: a single institution review. Sim Y, Tan VK, Ho GH, Wong CY, Madhukumar P, Tan BK, Yong WS, Ng YY, Ong KW. Breast. 2014 Feb;23(1):56-62. doi: 10.1016/j.breast.2013.10.008. Epub 2013 Nov 23. PMID: 24275318.
- Sentinel lymph nodes with isolated tumour cells and micrometastases in breast cancer: clinical relevance and prognostic significance. Ahmed SS, Thike AA, Iqbal J, Yong WS, Tan B, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Ho GH, Wong CY, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Mar;67(3):243-50. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2013-201771. Epub 2013 Nov 11. PMID: 24218025.
- Predicting the likelihood of additional lymph node metastasis in sentinel lymph node positive breast cancer: validation of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre (MSKCC) nomogram. Chue KM, Yong WS, Thike AA, Ahmed SS, Li HH, Wong CY, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Tan BK, Ong KW, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Feb;67(2):112-9. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2013-201524. Epub 2013 Sep 18. PMID: 24048026.
- Association of common genetic variants with breast cancer risk and clinicopathological characteristics in a Chinese population. Chan M, Ji SM, Liaw CS, Yap YS, Law HY, Yoon CS, Wong CY, Yong WS, Wong NS, Ng R, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Oey CL, Tan PH, Li HH, Ang P, Ho GH, Lee AS. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Nov;136(1):209-20. doi: 10.1007/s10549-012-2234-y. Epub 2012 Sep 11. PMID: 22965832.
- Predicting clinical behaviour of breast phyllodes tumours: a nomogram based on histological criteria and surgical margins. Tan PH, Thike AA, Tan WJ, Thu MM, Busmanis I, Li H, Chay WY, Tan MH; Phyllodes Tumour Network Singapore. J Clin Pathol. 2012 Jan;65(1):69-76. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2011-200368. Epub 2011 Nov 2. Erratum in: J Clin Pathol. 2013 May;66(5):455-6. PMID: 22049216.
- An unusual case of recurrent obstructive jaundice. Heng LZ, Ong KW, Chow PK. An unusual case of recurrent obstructive jaundice. Gastroenterology. 2011 May;140(5):1401, 1699. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2010.07.064. Epub 2011 Mar 27. PMID: 21447313.
- Expression of EBV latent antigens, mammalian target of rapamycin, and tumor suppression genes in EBV-positive smooth muscle tumors: clinical and therapeutic implications. Ong KW, Teo M, Lee V, Ong D, Lee A, Tan CS, Vathsala A, Toh HC. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Sep 1;15(17):5350-8. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2979. Epub 2009 Aug 25. PMID: 19706821.
- Immune response against angiosarcoma following lower fluence rate clinical photodynamic therapy. Thong PS, Olivo M, Kho KW, Bhuvaneswari R, Chin WW, Ong KW, Soo KC. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2008;27(1):35-42. doi: 10.1615/jenvironpatholtoxicoloncol.v27.i1.40. PMID: 18551894.
- Photodynamic-therapy-activated immune response against distant untreated tumours in recurrent angiosarcoma. Thong PS, Ong KW, Goh NS, Kho KW, Manivasager V, Bhuvaneswari R, Olivo M, Soo KC. Lancet Oncol. 2007 Oct;8(10):950-2. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(07)70318-2. PMID: 17913664.
- Use of sirolimus for Epstein-Barr virus-positive smooth-muscle tumour. Toh HC, Teo M, Ong KW, Lee V, Chan E, Lee AS, Vathsala A. Lancet Oncol. 2006 Nov;7(11):955-7. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70943-3. Erratum in: Lancet Oncol. 2007 Mar;8(3):191. PMID: 17081922.
- Healthcare worker seroconversion in SARS outbreak. Chow PK, Ooi EE, Tan HK, Ong KW, Sil BK, Teo M, Ng T, Soo KC. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 Feb;10(2):249-50. doi: 10.3201/eid1002.030397. PMID: 15030691; PMCID: PMC3322936.
- The B subunit of Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin enhances CD8+ cytotoxic-T-lymphocyte killing of Epstein-Barr virus-infected cell lines. Ong KW, Wilson AD, Hirst TR, Morgan AJ. J Virol. 2003 Apr;77(7):4298-305. doi: 10.1128/jvi.77.7.4298-4305.2003. PMID: 12634387; PMCID: PMC150673.